Monday, December 14, 2009

Honey in the Comb Dishcloth

In addition to the Mistletoe Dishcloth that I found in my stored Christmas decorations, I also found a second half-finished dishcloth that I am referring to as "Honey in the Comb" because it's knit using the honeycomb stitch.

Basically, this dishcloth follows the Honeycomb pattern in Sandy Scoville's Knit Dishcloth Sampler (American School of Needlework, publication #1309), except I used two colours instead of one. Why? Because last year I had leftover both mistletoe yarn (from the Mistletoe Dishcloth) and red yarn from a dishcloth that I had done for a friend with a kitchen decorated in red. Neither leftover was enough to make a dishcloth, but the two together produced this lovely Christmas kitchen accessory. I simply used the red for the border in the pattern and the mistletoe for the centre.

I'm still trying to conquer joining two colours cleanly. This was the first time I managed to do it without leaving any holes, but the joins aren’t always clean, plus I made one major booboo. Instead of running the change-over yarn back through the body of the knitting, I accidentally looped it around the outside. Oops! By the time I noticed the problem, I wasn’t in the mood to unravel all my knitting. Since I was doing this dishcloth for me and not as a present for someone else, I decided to leave it as it was.

My Honey in the Comb Dishcloth now makes a striking Christmas decoration hanging above my kitchen sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment